Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hoarding in Nagoya

Rumours of widespread panic and exodus are definitely overstated, but one rumour isn't: hoarding. Even in Nagoya, hundreds of kilometers from Tokyo, hundreds more from Fukushima, and even further from the epicentre of Friday's quake, people are hoarding like crazy.

Here are some pics:

Canned food and pasta is nearly gone. A few sticks of soba and the more expensive canned fish is left.
Canned fruit is all gone except pineapple (no one likes pineapple?) and the giant cans you need a can-opener for (this is pretty rare in Japan). There are also some plastic packs of aloe. No mikan! And that's what I wanted to eat tonight. D:

This was flashlights and batteries. 
You're set for batteries if you need small ones, but all D batteries are gone.

Rice. Wow. Now, for context, there are hundreds of kilos of rice behind me and to my right - so many that when I was walking into Jusco, I thought "whatever, there's loads of rice left, people are so exaggerating". Then I saw this shelf. I've never seen it this empty.
It's mostly the mid-sized 1-5kg bags that are going. Loads of 10kg bags left.

Instant noodle aisle. It's normally a little thin at night with all the university students grabbing cheap meals, but usually at most there will be one row out. This is really crazy - I stopped dead for a second when I saw it.
Dunno why people are stockpiling these though - they take up a lot of space in your kit, have very few calories, and are high in sodium. Three no-nos for a survival kit. Plus you have to cook them.

No comments:

Post a Comment