Monday, November 1, 2010

Brazilian cheese puffs



I have too much tapioca flour. I needed to use it. I found this recipe on Yahoo Answers and decided to try it out!



Ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil or butter
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup milk or soy milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups tapioca flour
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 beaten eggs

Pour olive oil, water, milk, and salt into a large saucepan, and place over high heat. When the mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat immediately, and stir in tapioca flour and garlic until smooth (ideally - mine was pretty lumpy, still, but no dry spots at least). Set aside to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.





Stir the cheese and egg into the tapioca mixture until well combined; the mixture will be chunky like cottage cheese. The egg was too much liquid - I added a little bit more tapioca flour to make a more pancake-batter consistency. Drop spoonfuls of vaguely cookie-sized mixture onto an ungreased baking sheet - I accidentally greased mine and so my biscuits are kind of... oily-crispy on the bottom. Oops. Anyway, stick 'em in the toaster oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until they're browned on top.


I, of course, burnt the first batch, and they're a little chewy inside, probably because my toaster oven is a beast and is way too hot, but I think I can fix that by just using less batter for each puff. They're amazing and puffy and delicate and delicious and I had a few with a bowl of the soup from yesterday. SO GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment